Welcome to Vermont - Moose Country!

We arrived at our house in Stratton, Vermont ready to take a break from driving. The house is beautiful and has everything that we might need, and lots of items that we don't (Foosball, darts, pool table, card room, 5 living areas, 4/5 bedrooms and tons of space!). Maersk houses are always spectacular! We decided to explore our immediate area and just take a day of rest. Stratton Mountain is known as a summer get-away or a winter ski resort; however this time of year, it's very quiet and peaceful.
As we drove around, we saw numerous Moose Crossing signs, which we found entertaining enough to stop and take a picture. We found out shortly that they were serious! :)

Yes, this is a MOOSE!! It weighs 762 pounds dressed and was shot by a guy that we met on the side of the road. It is hanging to allow the meat to age and it was interesting to talk with him. We thought it funny that the moose was hanging near his "VOTE for MCCAIN" sign! Moose hunters unite!
As I got back into the car after taking pictures, my first thought was to question the type of bacteria that I had on my hands from touching a dead moose. My second thought was wondering what you would actually DO with a moose if you shot one.... I am NOT kidding - there is a 2008 VERMONT MOOSE HUNTERS GUIDE on the internet produced by the Vermont Wildlife Commission. I read all 48 pages of it, which was strangely interesting. My favorite part was getting into SHAPE for moose hunting season (Moose harvesting is hard physical work!) and that you should NOT practice moose calls at night from inside your tent! :) So as we start off on our adventures tomorrow, I'll know exactly what to do if we run into any loose moose!! You never know when that information may be needed!

Oh, one more thing, I've included a recipe. It looks simple enough....as long as moose is handy.

Slow Cooker Moose Roast
"Great recipe - it was the hit of my dinner!"
Ingredients
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
4 pounds moose roast
2 cups apple juice
1 (1 ounce) envelope dry onion soup mix

DIRECTIONS
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the roast on all sides in the hot oil. Remove, and transfer to a slow cooker. Sprinkle onion soup mix over the roast, then pour in the apple juice. Cover and cook on MEDIUM for 6 to 8 hours, or until meat is very tender. Check occasionally to make sure there is sufficient liquid, and add more juice if necessary. Serve roast with juices, or thicken them for a tasty gravy.

Comments

Randall said…
Moose and Elk are really tasty and very Lean. Those signs are meant to be a serious warning. When I traveled Maine and Vermont for 6 years I seldom saw a paper without an article and picture of a car hitting a Moose and there was usually a death involved other than the Moose. Can you send us a Moose Roast?
Sounds like Niagara Falls is worth seeing. I have been to Buffalo, NY many times but not Niagara Falls, I wish I had now. On the other hand I live in Memphis and have never been to Elvis's house either. Sounds like a great house to get some R & R. Charlie should had taken the Harley and you could have followed him. It could have been a practice run so he could compete on the Annual Iron Butt Motorcycle competition.

Popular Posts