My Alpha House

Niagara Falls is breathtaking, even in the rain! A little cold and rain didn't stop us, so we just put on our raincoats (gloves and sweaters too) and walked the mile from our hotel to the falls.


Niagara is the second largest waterfall in the world (second to Victoria Falls in South Africa) and is the largest producer of hydroelectric power on the planet.

Horseshoe Falls (the largest of the falls) faces the Canadian side and has over 400,000 gallons of water per SECOND fall over its banks. WOW! Niagara is really incredible and I'm glad that we had the opportunity to experience this natural wonder firsthand.

Our next stop was Syracuse University - and the Alpha (beginning) house of Gamma Phi Beta - my college sorority. Gamma Phi Beta was founded at Syracuse University in 1874 and was the first group to use the term "sorority". The founders were impressive considering few women attended college at that time, since it was believed that "women had inferior minds and delicate health." We've come a long way since then! Gamma Phi's objective is to promote the highest form of womenhood through education, social life and service to their country and community.

The girls of the Alpha house received me with open arms and warm hospitality. I signed the official book, registering my visit for posterity and toured the large house, which is beautiful inside. I was able to see past composites of our members dating back to the original pledge class, and even held a pin from 1882! I am proud to be a Gamma Phi and it truly made my day!! Sisterhood does last a lifetime!

Comments

Popular Posts